Tuesday, December 05, 2023

This I Believe

“For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.’” Isaiah 41:13

I believe there is beauty and rewards in surrendering to God and trusting that the most straightforward path isn’t the most rewarding; rather, it’s the journey with the unexpected turns and detours that bring us closer to Him. This is the essence of faith – believing in the path set before you, even when you can't see the entire road ahead. 

I once went on a walk where I asked God to guide me. Each time I faced a crossroad, I asked Him to make the decision for me: “straight,” “left,” or “right.” Through this walk, God reminded me that while there was a final destination to be excited for, I should instead focus on the process and the journey. At one point, I reached a dead end, and I was confused. Was I hearing God’s voice correctly? As he urged me forward, a hidden path appeared, looping back to the street I began my journey on. What could have been a brief 2-minute walk turned into a meaningful hour-long exploration. My heart laughed. I continued on my walk but grew impatient again. It was starting to get dark, and my goal was to find a place to journal. The residential area I was walking through did not seem to have any area where I could stop to write in light. As I grew impatient, God held firm and reminded me to trust in Him. I continued to walk, still unsure of where I was going, when I saw a parking lot in the distance. “My destination!” I thought. But he told me to not get ahead of myself and to wait until I got there. As I neared the parking lot, I realized that right across the street was a playground with light structures. In the end, He left me to choose between the two spots– I chose the playground. 

In life, similar to my walk, it's easy to become impatient or want to take control when things don't go as planned. There are times when it seems like a dead end, when my legs are tired of walking, when I think a certain destination is for me, when it’s getting dark, when I just want to sit down on a curb and give up, when I want to use a map, but I need to trust in Him and not take matters into my own hands. Each time I face an unexpected turn, whether it’s rejection, disappointment, or heartbreak, He will hold my right hand and help me down the best path, replacing my weariness with strength and resilience. God has crafted a journey that surpasses all expectations and a destination far greater than I could ever imagine; all I need to do is ask Him to guide me and take the first step.

No comments: